Saturday, July 18, 2015

Vidal Sassoon London Luxe Hair Dye | Review




























From time to time, I receive some pretty cool products from BzzAgent for free to test out & review. This month's fun experiment was a little bit wilder than usual! I was sent the Vidal Sassoon London Luxe hair dye in the colour Merlot Vibrant Red & boy does that name say it all!

I've not really discussed my hair dye adventures much on this blog until now, but I generally do dye my hair at home from a box. Usually I use Garnier Nutrisse in 45 Dark Mahogany Brown, which on my naturally light brown hair comes out rich & dark with a hint of red shine. Vidal Sassoon is anything but a hint of red. It is just flat out red.

So the process on the VS dye was more or less exactly the same as the Garnier product. It comes with three products - a tube of permanent colour, a bottle with the developing cream in it & a conditioner for after. There was also a pair of gloves included - very important if you aren't into neon orange hands!  So step 1 is always to mix the tube of colour with the developing cream to make the concoction for dying.  Of course, right off the bat I had a mishap! The tube of colour actually punctured & the colour started coming out of the sides of the tube! What a mess! But with the help of some scissors, a butter knife & my patient husband, we managed to get enough out & into the developing bottle to actually continue the process.

Did I mention my hubby helps dye my hair? He has for years...he hates doing it, but he's awesome with the whole thing. I do my roots, then he does the back & the all-over spreading to help make sure I don't miss anything where I cannot see.



I look insane in this picture, but my processing head looks pretty darn close to the picture on the box! I'll be honest in saying that the neon orange scalp was really kind of scary to me. Usually my dye is super dark when processing...not neon! 

The time on this dye is pretty typical. You can leave it for up to 30 minutes, so I left mine for 25 (which is what I leave my usual dye on my head for). This stuff didn't smell that bad either! I have used some dye that has smelled like poison, this was pretty alright compared to that! 

I rinse my hair out by leaning over the tub under the tap, then I spread on the conditioner (which was really nice!), leave it on for the recommended 2 minutes - or longer - & hop in the shower. I find this the easiest way to make sure my head gets rinsed extra well.  Because it's at-home dye, you aren't supposed to wash it out, just rinse, so even though I'm in the shower, I just make sure to get all the leftover colour rinsed really good when rinsing the conditioner. 



Now, I'm not sure that this picture does my hair justice & I think a picture outside on a sunny day would much better reflect the true intensity that is this colour. The box claims that it will last up to 8 weeks, so we will see. I usually take good care of my colour, making sure to use appropriate shampoos & not washing my hair everyday or anything, so if it really lasts 8 weeks, I will know about it. What I do know right now is that my hair feels incredibly soft & not at all like it has been dyed. I can't stop touching it!

If it lasts reasonably well, I would definitely consider repurchasing this dye when looking to do something a little bit more fun than my average hair colour! Aside from the initial mishap, this product is very easy to use & gives great results!

Do you dye your hair? What do you use?

Cheers,
Kait

No comments:

Post a Comment