Saturday, February 21, 2015

Battle of | The High end Mascaras

Round 2 of my "Battle of" series! Last month I did some drugstore face towelettes, so this month we're heading up the ladder to some higher end mascaras.

High end Mascaras

For this Battle, I've chosen Lancome's Definicils, Tarte's Lights, Camera, Lashes & Urban Decay's Perversion. All of them are in their blackest form & I've tried them all at LEAST 20 times (that's 60 days of testing mascaras, y'all). I also tried them all at least once in conjunction with another - waterproof - mascara layered on top, just to see if it would behave differently.

I've rated them on :
  • staying power (none of them are waterproof)
  • blackness
  • lengthening
  • volumizing

Lancome Definicils

Lancome Definicils
This mascara has some serious staying power. The only time I've ended up with a smudge was after a tough workout. Even through snow & rain, this stuff stayed put. It was pretty black, but by the end of the day I found it to be graying. This is more of a lengthening mascara than a volumizing one. For volume I had to layer it with something else. But as the name suggests, it did define my "cils" or my lashes for those of you who don't speak French. I give it an overall 81%



Urban Decay Perversion

Urban Decay Perversion 
This mascara is wonderful! UD is one of my favourite brands for eye makeup, but this is my first mascara by them.  It is black and stays that way all day. It isn't particularly lengthening, but it is soooooo volumizing! I've noticed that while it doesn't smudge at ALL, it does start to flake off around the 8-10 hour mark, which is usually long enough that I don't even get to that point (I tend to take my makeup off as soon as I'm home for the day). Rating-wise, this one gets an 81% as well.


Tarte Lights Camera Lashes

Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes 
This mascara did not stay on my lashes very well at all. Now, it is winter - season of the watery eyes - so it may fare better once it warms up. It is black & stays that way throughout the day. As far as what it does to my lashes, nothing spectacular. It makes them stand out & curl up a little bit, but I wouldn't call it a lengthening or a volumizing mascara. This one fell short of my personal expectations, especially since I've heard wonderful things! This one only gets a 63%.


Ready for a conclusion??
So again, like with the cleansing cloths, I graded each out of 16 - 4 points for each of the 4 criterion. Then I converted them into percentages. Since we have a tie this month, I guess I'm the tie-breaker! Overall I really liked the Urban Decay Perversion the best. I would definitely buy it over & over again. The brush was fantastic & the overall look is one that I really enjoy, since volume is what I look for more often.

Do you have a favourite mascara?

Cheers,
Kait

No comments:

Post a Comment