Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Staying Healthy Amid Negativity

While the idea of staying healthy and happy is a great one, in the world of the internet, it's easy to get discouraged and become hateful about the whole fitness/health community.  While lots of people are positive, motivating and inspiring, there are others who are not this way.  Have you seen images that are referred to online as fitspo (fit inspiration)?  It doesn't take more than a quick Google search to find that this is akin to thinspo - which is the driving force behind eating disorders (not the reason they begin, but the encouragement to continue).
 


Above are a couple examples of fitspo...the supposed inspiration to keep going, pictures of gorgeous, impossibly fit women with a saying overlay that may sound positive, but can be really detrimental to the mindset of those trying hard to be healthy.

Now I work out around 5 days a week and I try to eat as healthfully as I can, but I will also occasionally go out with my husband AND HAVE DESSERT, or skip a workout in favor of hanging out with my friends in the evening. Are these things going to kill me? Absolutely not. Are they productive to my healthy lifestyle? People who follow the Fitspo community would say no, but I say that they are very helpful to my lifestyle.  

It's more detrimental to think that you can consistently eat only clean, healthy food every day of the year. The thought that you will never get a piece of chocolate ever again is absolutely depressing & will eventually fall apart. Saying no to fun activities with friends because you HAVE to work out will also eventually backfire because you will come to resent working out if it keeps you from enjoying life. 

"Everything in moderation" & "variety is the spice of life" are two sayings that keep me motivated.  I don't go overboard with my quest for ultimate health and fitness, but I also don't go overboard with junk food. I keep things in perspective and you should too!

Cheers,
Kait

No comments:

Post a Comment